Connect with us

Top stories

Leaked Liberal Plan to Ban Migrants from Gaza, Somalia Faces Pushback

Published

on

A proposed migration ban covering 13 countries. A leadership spill. And a shadow minister saying: “I never agreed.”

A leaked Liberal Party immigration proposal to ban migrants from specific regions in 13 countries — including Gaza, Afghanistan and Somalia — has triggered internal backlash, with the party’s former shadow immigration minister distancing himself from the plan.

The proposal, developed before Sussan Ley was removed as Liberal leader, outlined bans affecting 37 regions across Afghanistan, Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Palestine, the Philippines, Somalia and Yemen. The regions were reportedly selected based on areas where designated terrorist organisations hold territorial control.

Guardian Australia reported that the plan was not presented to shadow cabinet before Ley’s leadership loss and that her successor, Angus Taylor, had not reviewed the document.

Former shadow immigration minister Paul Scarr said he had “serious concerns” about such a policy. “I never proposed any such policy. I never agreed to any such policy,” he said, adding that he had raised objections internally.

Beyond regional bans, the draft plan reportedly sought to accelerate the removal of up to 100,000 asylum seekers and international students, restrict appeal rights for visa holders and tighten screening of social media activity to identify extremist views. It also proposed cuts to permanent migration, student visas and net overseas migration.

Taylor, who has made immigration a central issue under his leadership, said Australia must ensure newcomers uphold democratic values and the rule of law. “Numbers have been too high and standards have been too low,” he told reporters.

The federal government has set the permanent migration intake for 2025–26 at 185,000, with net overseas migration projected at 260,000 — already a decline from post-pandemic peaks.

The episode highlights tensions within the Liberal Party over how far to go in reshaping migration policy, as Taylor prepares to unveil a new shadow cabinet in the coming days.

Top stories

India Seizes Iran-Linked Tankers, Expands Maritime Surveillance

Published

on

Three tankers seized. Dozens of patrol ships deployed. India tightens its maritime net amid shifting global alliances.

India has seized three U.S.-sanctioned tanker vessels allegedly linked to Iran and significantly expanded maritime surveillance in its exclusive economic zone, according to a source with direct knowledge of the operation.

The vessels — Stellar Ruby, Asphalt Star and Al Jafzia — were intercepted roughly 100 nautical miles west of Mumbai after authorities detected suspicious ship-to-ship transfer activity. Such transfers are often used to obscure the origin of oil cargoes and bypass international sanctions.

Indian authorities have not issued a formal public statement confirming the identities of the vessels, but the source said the ships were escorted to Mumbai for further investigation. A February 6 social media post by the Indian Coast Guard referencing the interception was later deleted.

The United States previously sanctioned vessels with International Maritime Organization numbers matching those of the ships seized, including Global Peace, Chil 1 and Glory Star 1, under measures targeting Iran’s oil trade.

According to shipping data from LSEG, at least two of the vessels have direct links to Iran. Al Jafzia reportedly transported Iranian fuel oil to Djibouti in 2025, while Stellar Ruby has been flagged in Iran. Asphalt Star’s recent voyages centered around Chinese ports.

To strengthen enforcement, the Indian Coast Guard has deployed approximately 55 ships and up to 12 aircraft for continuous surveillance across its maritime zones.

The move comes amid improving relations between India and the United States. Earlier this month, Washington announced it would lower tariffs on Indian goods after New Delhi agreed to halt imports of Russian oil — a shift that signals closer alignment on sanctions enforcement.

By tightening oversight of ship-to-ship transfers, India appears intent on preventing its waters from becoming a conduit for sanctioned energy trade, reinforcing its strategic positioning in a shifting geopolitical landscape.

Continue Reading

Top stories

Finland Says Russia Building Cold War-Style Military Sites Near Border

Published

on

Antti Häkkänen

Nuclear submarines in the Arctic. New bases near Finland. Europe’s northern flank is heating up.

Russia is reinforcing its nuclear and military infrastructure in the Arctic, including building new facilities near the Finnish border, Finland’s defence minister has warned.

Speaking on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference, Antti Häkkänen said Moscow is expanding its presence around the Kola Peninsula — a region that hosts much of Russia’s sea-based strategic nuclear arsenal and long-range aviation assets.

“Russia has most of their biggest strategic capabilities in nuclear, submarines, long-range bombers in the Kola Peninsula area,” Häkkänen said, adding that new facilities are being constructed along Finland’s border “same as the Cold War.”

The Kola Peninsula, spanning roughly 100,000 square kilometres, remains central to Russia’s Arctic posture. Finland, which joined NATO after Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, has since emphasized strengthening deterrence in the High North.

Häkkänen welcomed NATO’s renewed focus on Arctic security, including the launch of Arctic Sentry, an enhanced vigilance activity aimed at boosting allied coordination in the region. Still, he suggested the Arctic should have been prioritized much earlier.

Finland has positioned itself as a key Arctic defence actor, with forces trained for extreme northern conditions. Helsinki recently secured approval for €1 billion in EU defence loans to strengthen land forces, including investments in armoured vehicles and drones.

While discussions in Europe have intensified about strengthening a continental nuclear deterrent — with France and the United Kingdom exploring broader coordination — Häkkänen stressed that U.S. support remains indispensable.

“In the short term, and even mid-term, we need the U.S.,” he said, describing Washington as “ironclad committed” to NATO’s Article 5 collective defence guarantee.

As Arctic competition intensifies and geopolitical tensions deepen, Finland’s warning underscores a broader shift: Europe’s northern frontier is once again a strategic fault line.

Continue Reading

Top stories

China’s Spring Festival Travel Surge Tests Economy and Infrastructure

Published

on

Trains packed. Highways jammed. Airports full. China’s Lunar New Year migration is bigger than any other on Earth.

China’s annual Lunar New Year travel rush — known as “Chunyun” — is once again underway, with officials forecasting a record 9.5 billion domestic trips during the 40-day period, making it the largest yearly human migration in the world.

The travel surge began on February 2 and will continue through mid-March. The official Spring Festival holiday runs from February 15 to 23, giving families extended time to reunite and travel.

Chunyun is widely viewed as both a cultural tradition and an economic barometer. The massive movement of people places intense pressure on China’s transportation networks while offering insight into consumer confidence and spending patterns.

By February 10, the country’s rail system had transported more than 1 billion passengers since the rush began. Airlines reported 16.3 million trips in the first week alone, with roughly 95 million flights expected over the full travel season. Road travel accounts for the majority of journeys, particularly after transportation authorities expanded official counting methods in 2023 to include expressway traffic.

Domestic tourism trends reflect diverse seasonal preferences. Tropical destinations such as Hainan Island remain popular, while snow sports regions like Changbai Mountain attract winter holidaymakers.

International travel is also rising. Thailand and Australia are among favored destinations, while Russia has seen increased interest following its visa-free agreement with China. Travel to Japan has reportedly declined amid diplomatic tensions.

This year’s rush is expected to be particularly strong after authorities extended the Spring Festival holiday by one day. In addition, China broadened its visa-free entry policy to more than 45 countries, allowing visitors from many European nations, as well as Australia and New Zealand, to stay for up to 30 days.

For China, the Spring Festival migration remains more than a holiday tradition — it is a logistical feat and a powerful symbol of national mobility and economic pulse.

Continue Reading

Top stories

What Is Ramadan? How Muslims Around the World Observe the Holy Month

Published

on

From sunrise to sunset, millions fast together. But Ramadan is more than hunger — it’s faith, reflection and shared humanity.

Muslims around the world are preparing to observe Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, marked by daily fasting, prayer and acts of charity. The holy month is expected to begin around February 18 or 19, depending on the sighting of the crescent moon.

Ramadan’s start date shifts each year because the Islamic calendar follows lunar cycles. Religious authorities in different countries may announce slightly different start days based on moon sightings or calculation methods.

Fasting during Ramadan is one of the Five Pillars of Islam, alongside the declaration of faith, daily prayer, almsgiving and pilgrimage. From dawn to sunset, observant Muslims abstain from all food and drink — including water. The fast is broken at sunset with a meal known as iftar, often beginning with dates and water, followed by larger gatherings with family and friends.

Before dawn, many wake for suhoor, a pre-fast meal meant to sustain them through the day. Nights are often spent in extended prayers, including special congregational prayers known as Tarawih, and in reading the Quran.

Beyond fasting, charity plays a central role. Many Muslims donate food, distribute meals or support those in need. Acts of generosity are believed to carry added spiritual reward during the month.

Exemptions from fasting apply to those who are ill, traveling, pregnant, elderly or otherwise unable to fast. Missed fasts due to temporary reasons are typically made up later.

Cultural traditions surrounding Ramadan vary widely. In Egypt, colorful lanterns illuminate streets and homes. In Indonesia, torchlit parades and communal feasts mark the month’s arrival. In the United States and Europe, diverse Muslim communities gather in mosques and Islamic centers for nightly meals and prayers, sometimes hosting interfaith iftar events.

Ramadan concludes with Eid al-Fitr, a festive holiday celebrating the end of the fast.

While customs differ across regions, the core of Ramadan remains constant: spiritual renewal, discipline and solidarity with those less fortunate — a month that binds millions in shared devotion across continents.

Continue Reading

Top stories

Australia Commits $2.7 Billion to Advance Nuclear Submarine

Published

on

A new shipyard, nuclear-powered submarines, and a decades-long investment — Australia doubles down on AUKUS.

Australia will spend A$3.9 billion ($2.76 billion) to advance construction of a new shipyard that will underpin its nuclear-powered submarine program under the AUKUS defense pact with the United States and Britain, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced Sunday.

The funding will support development of a major submarine construction yard at Osborne, near Adelaide in South Australia. Albanese described the investment as a “down payment” toward a project expected to cost around A$30 billion over coming decades.

AUKUS, unveiled in 2021, represents Australia’s largest-ever defense investment. Under the agreement, U.S.-commanded Virginia-class submarine vessels will rotate through Australian bases beginning in 2027. From around 2030, several of those submarines are expected to be sold to Australia. Britain and Australia will later jointly develop and build a new class of nuclear-powered submarines.

The Osborne site, where Australia’s ASC and Britain’s BAE Systems will collaborate, will serve as the hub for future submarine construction. Until full production begins later this decade, the facility will continue maintaining Australia’s aging Collins-class fleet.

South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas said the initial funding would go toward enabling infrastructure for the expanded yard, calling it only the beginning of a broader transformation.

The announcement follows a recent Pentagon review that identified areas to strengthen the AUKUS program, including ensuring Australia accelerates development of its nuclear submarine industrial capacity.

The move underscores Canberra’s long-term commitment to deepening strategic ties with Washington and London, as regional security competition intensifies in the Indo-Pacific.

Continue Reading

Top stories

Israel’s Gideon to Attend Trump’s First Board of Peace Meeting on Gaza

Published

on

A reconstruction plan, a stabilization force, and high-stakes diplomacy — Gaza moves to the top of Washington’s agenda.

Israel’s Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will attend U.S. President Donald Trump’s first formal Board of Peace meeting in Washington on February 19, according to two Israeli officials.

U.S. officials said Trump is expected to unveil a multi-billion-dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and outline details of a proposed United Nations-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian territory. The board’s creation was endorsed by a United Nations Security Council resolution as part of broader efforts to end the Gaza war.

Delegations from at least 20 countries, including several heads of state, are expected to attend. While regional Middle Eastern nations and emerging powers have joined the initiative, some traditional Western allies have approached the plan more cautiously.

The meeting comes amid a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, which took effect in October under a framework advanced by the Trump administration. Despite the truce, intermittent violence has continued, with both sides accusing each other of violations.

A key element of the proposal involves deploying an International Stabilization Force as Israeli troops withdraw further and Hamas disarms. U.S. officials said several countries are prepared to contribute thousands of troops to the force, which could deploy in the coming months.

Hamas has rejected calls to surrender its weapons, while Israel has warned that it would act militarily if disarmament does not occur voluntarily.

The Washington meeting is expected to clarify the structure of the stabilization force and the scope of Gaza’s reconstruction effort, marking a new phase in diplomatic attempts to shape the territory’s postwar future.

Continue Reading

Top stories

U.S. Deported Nine Migrants to Cameroon Despite Court Protections

Published

on

Handcuffed, unaware of their destination — nine migrants reportedly flown to Cameroon despite legal protections.

The Trump administration secretly deported nine individuals to Cameroon in January, despite some having court protections against removal and none originating from that country, according to a report by The New York Times.

The newspaper said the group was placed on a January 14 flight departing from Alexandria, Louisiana, operated by the Department of Homeland Security. Several of the deportees allegedly did not know they were being sent to Cameroon until they were boarded in handcuffs and chains.

The report, citing government documents and attorneys for the deportees, said some of those removed had legal protections in place that were intended to prevent their deportation. Details of the individuals’ nationalities were not immediately available.

Neither DHS nor the U.S. State Department responded to requests for comment. Cameroon’s Ministry of External Affairs also did not comment publicly. Reuters said it could not immediately reach lawyers representing the deported individuals.

The administration of Donald Trump has not announced any formal agreement under which Cameroon would accept deportees from third countries.

If confirmed, the removals could raise legal and diplomatic questions, particularly regarding compliance with U.S. court orders and international deportation protocols.

Continue Reading

Top stories

Guterres: Climate Target Slipping, Africa Demands Fair Financing

Published

on

The 1.5°C limit will be breached, the UN chief warns — now the focus shifts to damage control and climate justice for Africa.

Antonio Guterres warned that the world is on course to exceed the 1.5 degrees Celsius global warming threshold, urging major economies to accelerate emissions cuts while calling for a dramatic increase in climate financing for Africa.

“The science is unequivocal. The planet will overshoot the 1.5 degrees Celsius limit,” Guterres said. “Our common task is to make that overshoot as small, short and safe as possible.”

He emphasized that the G20, which accounts for nearly 80 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions, must deliver steep reductions this decade to prevent further escalation of climate risks.

At the same time, Guterres highlighted Africa’s untapped clean energy capacity. The continent holds roughly 60 percent of the world’s best solar resources, he noted, yet receives only 2 percent of global clean energy investment. Despite contributing minimally to historic emissions, Africa is warming faster than the global average and faces growing climate impacts.

Adaptation, he said, must be treated as a priority equal to mitigation. Guterres called on developed countries to triple adaptation finance and to mobilize $1.3 trillion annually for developing nations by 2035. He also urged expanded funding for the Loss and Damage mechanism, faster transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy and wider deployment of early warning systems.

Addressing the issue of critical minerals essential to the energy transition, Guterres stressed that African countries must reap fair benefits from their natural resources. “No more exploitation, no more plundering,” he said. “The people of Africa must benefit from the resources of Africa.”

He concluded by reaffirming that partnership with Africa — spanning climate action, peace and sustainable development — will remain central to the United Nations’ agenda in the years ahead.

Continue Reading

Most Viewed

error: Content is protected !!